Nutrition is incredibly important to stay healthy and maintain a balanced diet. It can be difficult to know where to start, so here are the five basic principles of nutrition.
- Balanced diet: Consuming a variety of nutrient-dense foods from all food groups in the right proportions to meet energy and nutrient needs.
- Moderation: Eating moderate portions of all foods to maintain a healthy weight.
- Adequacy: Consuming enough food and nutrients to meet energy and nutrient needs for good health.
- Caloric balance: Balancing caloric intake with energy expenditure to maintain a healthy weight.
- Variety: Eating a variety of different foods within and among food groups to provide a range of nutrients and help meet nutrient needs.
Applying these five principles will help you develop long-term healthy habits for a lifetime of good nutrition.